Maintaining a functional and comfortable home requires addressing plumbing problems promptly. Most situations will call for a certified plumber, but there are some small tasks you will be legally allowed to fix yourself. Being familiar with common plumbing issues can help you save time, money, and potential headaches, whether you’re a homeowner, tenant, or property manager.
And make sure you have our handy number saved somewhere easy to find “plumber near me” for those emergency plumbing situations. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore minor but common plumbing problems that residents in Wellington may encounter and provide expert advice on fixing them. If you require immediate assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us at Paramount Plumbing and Gas on –
Leaky faucets are an annoyance and can also waste significant water over time. If you notice a dripping faucet in your Wellington home, follow these steps to fix it yourself:
- Start by turning off the water supply to the faucet.
- Carefully remove the faucet handle and replace the worn-out washer or cartridge.
- Reassemble the faucet, ensuring all connections are secure.
- Turn on the water supply and test for leaks.
Clogged drains are a common plumbing issue in Wellington households. To tackle a clogged drain before contacting your saved “plumber near me,” try the following steps:
- Begin by using a plunger to create suction and dislodge the clog. Ensure a tight seal around the drain opening.
- If plunging doesn’t work, use a drain snake or auger to break up the obstruction. Insert the tool into the drain and rotate it to catch the clog.
- Avoid using chemical drain cleaners, which can damage your pipes and the environment. Instead, use a natural mixture of baking soda and vinegar followed by hot water.
A running toilet can waste significant water and increase your utility bills. To fix a running toilet in Wellington, follow these steps:
- Open the toilet tank and inspect the flapper valve. If it appears damaged or worn, replace it with a new one.
- Check the float, which controls the water level in the tank. Adjust it if it’s too high or too low, ensuring it allows the tank to fill and shut off properly.
- If these steps don’t solve the issue, it’s best to call a plumber near you to diagnose and repair the problem, which may involve faulty valves or other internal components.
Low Water Pressure
If you’re experiencing low water pressure throughout your Wellington home, try the following troubleshooting steps.
- Check your water shut-off valves to ensure they are fully open. Sometimes, valves can accidentally get partially closed, restricting water flow.
- Clean or replace clogged faucet aerators and showerheads, as mineral deposits can accumulate over time, obstructing water flow.
- If the issue persists, contact a plumber to inspect your plumbing system and identify the underlying cause. It could be related to pipe corrosion, a hidden leak, or an issue with the municipal water supply.
Water Heater Problem
A malfunctioning water heater can disrupt your daily routines. Before calling us, you can troubleshoot some common water heater problems yourself:
- Check the pilot light (for gas heaters) or the circuit breaker (for electric heaters) to ensure they function correctly. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for relighting the pilot light if necessary.
- Inspect the temperature settings and adjust them if necessary. For most households, a temperature between 120-140°F (49-60°C) is recommended for optimal comfort and energy efficiency.
- If you notice any leaks or strange noises coming from your water heater, it’s best to consult a professional plumber to avoid safety risks.
- Please note water heaters are complex appliances that require expertise to repair or replace, so please contact us or a professional electrician if required to do any work on your one.
Knowing these common plumbing problems and their potential fixes, Wellington residents can tackle minor plumbing issues themselves and know when to call a plumber for professional assistance. Remember that while you can resolve some problems with DIY solutions, it’s crucial to prioritise safety and consult a qualified plumber for complex or potentially hazardous plumbing issues.
Keeping the contact information of a reliable “plumber near me” handy ensures that you have our help at your fingertips when needed. Trusting experienced plumbers in Wellington like Paramount Plumbing and Gas will help keep your home’s plumbing in excellent condition, providing peace of mind and a comfortable living environment for you and your family.
Check out the Top 10 Myths about household plumbing too.